May 5, 2011

My First Time

This past Monday Canada had a federal election. Though the results weren't what I was hoping for I am still so proud of myself for getting out and excercising my right to vote. It was the first time I have been given the opportunity to vote in a federal election, and this one seemed to be full of surprises and firsts.
The New Democratic Party are now the official opposition for the first time after winning more than one hundred seats. This is the most seats ever won in the history of the party! And the NDP candidate in my riding did win, so I shall have an NDP MP once again.
The Liberal Party was knocked into third place, somewhere it has never been before. Leader Michael Ignatieff has since respectfully resigned. He noted that the “only thing Canadians like less than a loser is a sore loser”, and though he lost his seat in his own riding he made his leave from Canadian politics with class.
The Green Party's leader Elizabeth May won in her riding, making her the first member of the party elected into parliament.
Pierre-Luc Dusseault was elected in Sherbrooke, Quebec. At 19 years old he is the youngest person elected to parliament in Canadian history. He is also one of several students that ran as members of the NDP and won in their respective ridings. I am grateful to see some fresh faces in Canadian politics!
The Bloc Québécois was nearly obliterated, dropping from 47 seats to a mere 4 seats. Gilles Duceppe, who has been leader of the party since 1997, announced his resignation on election night after losing in the riding he has held a seat in since 1990.
Finally, the Conservative Party won with a total of 167 seats. This gives them a majority government, and although this is not what I had been hoping for I do wish Mr. Harper the best of luck as Prime Minister of Canada.

And as I said at the beginning, I'm mostly just proud I exercised my right to vote. That may be why I found this video to be so awesome, despite seeing it after the election.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!