May 10, 2011

Peru

I have exciting news to share: this June I'll be travelling to Peru for 15 life-changing days!

I am going as part of the SJU in Peru initiative, alongside nine other students and the two staff who planned the whole trip. We will be travelling to Lima, Chiclayo and Cusco, with a different focus at each location. In Lima we will be staying at a retreat house and learning about Peruvian economic and political history while taking in the culture. In the Chiclayo portion of our trip we will be working with Cafe Femenino, a women's fair-trade coffee co-op. We will then be trekking into the mountains to spend a few days in one of the coffee growing communities, where will be assisting with their water harvesting projects. Our work with Cafe Femenino is the main focus of the SJU in Peru initiative. In our last stop, Cusco, we will be working with the Pura Vida Foundation. This is an organization that runs a shelter that reaches out to sexually exploited young girls from Cusco and surrounding areas. We will also have a chance to visit Machu Picchu.

I have much more to tell you about as I prepare for the journey of a lifetime, and I plan to share more in the days and weeks to come.


P.S. Check out the SJU in Peru blog! You'll find posts from last years participants and be able to follow along with my team and I as we go through this journey. There's already been one post written by two of my fellow travellers.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, now I know more about it! This trip sounds amazing. I can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments!